I’d spent ages planning this recipe after i’d found a tin of jackfruit in a Chinese supermarket after seeing it a couple of times on Instagram and various vegan blogs. However, even I was amazed at how well it turned out; I was expecting a massive kitchen fail in all honesty, especially as that morning my attempted waffles stuck to the waffle iron and I ended up with a plate of burnt mush (I still ate it all, waste not want not). I picked up the tin for around £1.50 and it got me two servings so definitely an inexpensive recipe. Make sure you buy the young green kind in brine and not syrup (unless you want it to taste really really sweet!) Serve it any way you like – with sweet potato, in a brioche bun, on a pizza, with baked beans… basically anyway you’d have BBQ pulled pork!
- one tin of young green jackfruit
- A BBQ spice blend (I used Nude Spice but you can easily make your own from chilli, cumin, salt, garlic, paprika, garlic, tomato and cayenne)
- BBQ sauce (homemade or if you’re lazy like me, the bottle kind…)
- oil for cooking (I used coconut)
- Drain the jackfruit and wash and dry thoroughly.
- Cut off the hard core part of the triangle shapes of the jackfruit.
- Season in a bowl with your spice mix.
- Heat up a frying pan with the oil of your choice and fry up the seasoned jackfruit for a couple of minutes.
- Add the BBQ sauce and a little water to make a sauce.
- Cover the drying pan and simmer for around 25 minutes.
- Keep stirring and adding a little more water every so often. You can also shred the jackfruit with two forks to give that “pulled” texture once they’ve soaked up a little of the water.
- SERVE! Easy right?!